Instana is looking to hire a Senior Software Engineer to join our Java Tracer team in Solingen.
The Java Tracer team provides Instana's unique AutoTrace™ for Java applications. The team currently maintains support for over a hundred different libraries and frameworks to provide detailed observability and insights into customer application code flows.
This role requires deep expertise in the Java ecosystem or the desire to pick this up. You should have a great curiosity for new JVM-based technologies and be quick at familiarizing with new libraries and frameworks. Ideally, you already have some experience with setting up infrastructure to build integration tests for our various code instrumentation.
Technical responsibilities in this role include
- Investigate the best code points in (new and old) frameworks and libraries to add our custom instrumentation
- Write and extend integration tests for instrumented frameworks (and in some cases find ways to do so)
- Improve our Java Trace Sensor infrastructure (allocation free programming, serialization optimization, profiling)
- Explore new runtime environments on how to integrate our tracer (like Quarkus.io, AWS Lambda, …)
- Coordinate instrumentation details across tracer teams of different programming languages
- Pair Program with your peers on new instrumentation code and review code changes
- Help resolve customer reported issues
- 3+ years of professional experience working in the Java ecosystem
- Familiarity with J2EE and other enterprise frameworks work
- Familiarity with the Spring ecosystem (required; expertise, especially beyond Spring Boot, is a big plus)
- Broad knowledge about all things JVM (recommended)
- No fear of Java bytecode, class files and internals to reverse engineer closed source code (recommended)
- Experience with using GraalVM and other JVM languages such as Scala, Kotlin, Clojure (recommended)
- Test-driven mindset
- Knowledge about distributed tracing and APM
- Good code writing discipline and an eye for code efficiency
- Strong analytical and problem solving thinking
- Understanding of Kanban
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Permission to work in the EU
As a leading provider of Application Performance Management solutions for containerized microservice applications, Instana applies automation and artificial intelligence to deliver the visibility needed to effectively manage the performance of today’s dynamic applications across the DevOps lifecycle. Founded by Application Monitoring veterans, Instana provides true AI-powered APM to help organizations deliver high performance applications today and in the future. Visit us at https://www.instana.com to learn more.